Passionate European – experienced grant evaluator – long-standing creator of European projects
For more than 15 years I have been working at the crossroads of politics, EU, research and education in the third sector. I spent much time as programme director in European civic education on finding grants and writing proposals for European and international projects. But only some were successful even though the project ideas were always good!
What a frustrating experience! Then I changed sides and started to work as an evaluator: for proposals, for ongoing projects (monitoring) as well as finalised projects (ex post evaluation). I learned to see the proposals from the eyes of the donors – what a revelation! I understood where I made mistakes, what I got wrong and where I could improve.
In my current work I want to share my experiences from both sides of the table with you: project coordinator and evaluator – always in conditions of strict confidentiality, of course. My social sciences background as well as my knowledge of EU structures and politics allow me to develop projects with a clear vision, align them to overall political goals and define measurable outcomes.
I have assessed hundreds of grant applications for the following institutions:
- FP7 / European Commission / Research Executive Agency (REA)
- Horizon 2020 / European Commission / Research Executive Agency (REA)
- AMIF / European Commission / DG Home
- Erasmus+ Europe for Citizens / European Commission / DG EAC + National Contact Points
- Employment and Social Innovation Programme (EaSI) / European Commission / DG EMPL
- Robert Bosch Foundation
- National Government of Latvia
- Université Libre de Bruxelles
I have taught social science methods and gave advise on writing masters dissertations.
Fördermittel akquirieren. Sie schreiben Sie einen überzeugenden Antrag [How to write a successful grant application], Schäffer-Poeschel, 2016 .
Solidarunion auf Weltniveau? Herausforderungen der EU
[World-class solidarity union? Challenges of the EU], Federal Agency for Civic Education
Developing a criminal justice area in the EU (Editor), Study commissioned by the Policy Department C of the European Parliament, No. PE 493.043, Brussels, 2014
Crossing and Controlling Borders. Immigration Policies and their Impact on Migrants’ Journeys; Baumann, Mechthild; Lorenz, Astrid; Rosenow, Kerstin (eds.), Budrich UniPress, Opladen, 2011
I have given key notes on European integration or proposal writing for several years (selection):
- Series of Key Notes at the invitation of the German Foreign Office in Russia
- Med Tech Pitch Day, Hamburg
- Net4Society (network of National Contact Points on Horizon2020)
- Friedrich Naumann-Foundation
- Heinrich Boell-Foundation
- Friedrich Ebert Foundation
- CIRAC – Centre interdisciplinaire d’études et de recherches sur l’Allemagne